China’s urban left behind children

China’s urban left behind children

Urban left behind children are those who live with their grandparents in the cities, and their parents visit them once a week or once a month.

China has 68,000,000 left behind children, and 61,000,000 of them are left behind in rural villages.

The percentage of mental illness among left behind children of the two groups, i.e., the rural left behind children and the urban left behind children, are almost equal.  In the city of Wuhan, between July, 2014, and April of 2015, 207 left behind children with mental illness were taken in by the city’s hospitals, 51.2% were rural left behind children and the rest, 48.8% were urban left behind children.

Among Wuhan city’s sampled general population of 3,000 children between 6 and 14 years old, 14% showed some kind of psychological dysfunction.

A survey by questionnaire of 100 rural kindergartens conducted from July 1 to July 11, 2015, in 23 provinces yielded 100 valid responses from among 104 returned.  The valid responses were from rural kindergartens in 18 provinces and one city, covering 16,265 kindergarten children, 8,907 or 55% were males and 7,358 or 45% were females.  Among the 16,265 kindergarten children, 8,132 or 49.9% were left behind children.  Of these, 58% had both parents living and working away from home, 27% had their mothers at home, 11% had their fathers at home.  Of a set of 2,495 kindergarten children with both parents absent, 91.6% of them are being taken care of by their grandparents.

Public assistance to left behind children is minimal.  The government provides assistance to only 18% of the left behind children, social organizations provide 11%, volumteers provide 9%, and village committees participate in only 4% of local assistance programs.  The rest, or (100-18-11-9-4=58) 58% of the left behind children do not receive any type of assistance.

Advertisements

About masterchensays

Victor Chen, herbalist, alternative healthcare lecturer, Chinese affairs analyst, retired journalist
This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.